Content on ChicagoTalks
We publish stories about people, places, things, events, and issues in Chicago. We are a cooperative enterprise: you create a story. You post the story so our editor can view it. We edit and publish your story and send you a note when it goes online.[pullquote]
- Login and choose +New > Post
- Add your story
- Add a PHOTO. NEED HELP with THAT? Google advanced search let’s you look for photos by user rights.
- Add Other media.
- Add links to people, places, things you mention.
- No nudity
- No profanity
- No personal attacks
- No attacks on race, creed, sexual orientation or national origin
- Do your own work
A good story :
- Tells the who, what, where, when, why, and maybe how
- Includes at least one photo with a caption and “Photo by ____”
- Has links to people, places, and things you put in your story.
- Shows not tells, and includes facts, quotes, and not what your gut says.
- Your “Display Name” must be a real name. We do not publish stories under screen names or aliases
Some tips from the Yahoo Style Guide
- “Some people won’t be able to see the images on your site—for example, people who use a text-only browser (such as those on some mobile devices) so add alt-text descriptions to images
- Write alt text for an image even if the image has a caption—for search engines, it’s desirable to have the extra text associated with the image. But avoid using the exact same wording for both alt text and caption.
We generally support participatory culture as discussed by >Henry Jenkins, Creative Commons, the Participatory Culture Foundation.
PROBLEMS? Contact email@example.com